When considering what is an art when it comes to public speaking there are subjects that come to focus, such as:
“what is a language” and “what is public speaking” and how to blend the two together!
It is important to view public speaking as an opportunity for the speaker to affect many minds with one message, especially when it comes to the professional arena.
This is an important leadership skill that often defines what is a leader, and if mastered and used correctly, can change the level of effective communication for the workforce (See training program) and redefine what success is about in the workplace.
The Purpose of Public Speaking
“What Is Effective Communication” is a necessary strategic communication management program, which connects the speaker to their message and to their audience.
The question is, can you as a speaker come alive with your audience and make your speech original and delightful, even if the topic is known or old?
Are you able to inject new life to your words each and every time, or are you just going through the motions, in which case:
“If you do what you have done you will get what you got”
The Art Of Public Speaking should be an exciting and inspiring occasion, every single time! One that celebrates the marvels of communication, where one can enrich the many with unique content and form, which was especially crafted to uplift their mind and emotions.
“Live speak” lets the power of now live, and be expressed in a most influential way. Reading or learning a pre-written speech only echoes the past, and thus has a minimal affect on listeners.
“What Is Effective Communication” is all about people. Strategic Communication Management relies on Strategic Thinking training, and most importantly on the power of positive thinking, which takes into account, first and foremost, for the benefit of the audience!
This should be an inner commitment and conviction for the speakers that sees themselves to be an agency of good things for people. (…otherwise what’s the point of speaking…one wonders!)
These are the things that can make a real difference, if… long-term results is what you are after, and not just a quick fix that is mostly a delusion of those who don’t understand the way things work.
Quick bottom line results are often the most temporary of “patch work”
7 Steps to Effective Public Speaking
- The Message Behind the Message: Public speaking is potentially a powerful and influential tool for effective leadership, and an important part of leadership skills list, because speaking to large audience can affect many minds with one message and cause multiple results.Therefore, it is extremely important to be empowered by the power of positivity in your communication message, because that’s what people will receive when you speak. People receive the energy in the message which they feel. Perhaps they won’t get it consciously, but certainly will absorb it semi-consciously, and subconsciously.
The motive that hides behind the spoken word is always the GOVERNING ENERGY of the word.
This is one of many powerful performance information tools, that is work-shopped extensively in The Thinking Coach leadership training courses.
- Content Vs. Form – The correct balance of form and content of a message, or, the balance of verbal and nonverbal communication, is critical to its level of effectiveness.Form is the “delivery package”, which demonstrates what is positive body language, predetermines the speed of the spoken word, the pauses between the words, the facial gesticulation, the intonation and the tone.
The content is, the chosen words for the particular message, what is a language that is being used. Both are needed in balance.
The correct balance of emotions and logic prevents boredom in listeners and increases the openness to the message, as well as the level of retention.
This communication tip, helps define what is a leader, and will get you to the next level of your personal development.
- How to overcome the fear in public speaking – You can be well prepared and rehearse a speech in a meticulous way, where you know the content by heart, which on one level is great.However, to be effective in the art of public speaking, this will not suffice.
In Public speaking, when you are in front of your audience everything changes.
You are now dealing with a different dynamic, which includes the presence of others, their collective energy, their fears, their hopes, their wishes and wants, and expectations, which are mostly hidden.
All of these elements were not present when you prepared the speech in the comfort of your home, but you are now facing them.
You now feel the pressure. How to overcome the fear of public speaking is now the main issue you are facing.
It can cause you to speed up through the talk, become nervous and incoherent and lose your audience. You need Mental toughness to resist the pressure.
You need to slow down, smile and proceed with the talk as if you are speaking to ONE PERSON IN YOUR LIVING ROOM.
You need to be attentive to your audience and be ready to respond in a live fashion to what fits the most, even if it means deviating from your original speech.
Learn to work live when needed and respond to the needs of the moment, and again…smiling… It helps to reduce the internal pressure and deliver a message to your audience “I am in control”.
- “Moving” Words – What is a language if you don’t put Emotions in it? make sure you use words that have the ability to move people.What is a language that moves people? It is the language that uses emotional words and inserts feelings into selected words.
The E-motion, which is Motion of E (energy) is a powerful energy that can ‘move mountains’, and inspire people.
The words then become a vehicle for essences and presences that MOVE people emotionally and transfer to them feelings and passions that motivate them to achieve excellence. (The Thinking coach program of What Is A Leader).
- Your Audience is Your Stakeholder – What is effective communication? Effective communication is one that gets the message across in a clear and powerful way that is not easily forgotten.It is important to keep in mind that In communication the listener is the stakeholder.
The speaker has to figure out the style of communication catches their attention. It is not the speaker that decides that. If the listener doesn’t “get it”, then the message was ineffective.
Therefore, develop a holistic sensitivity to the needs of your audience and be there for them, not for you. A self centered speaker is focused on himself and not on his audience. Learn to speak the language of your audience!
- Make sure that your speech includes stories and analogies. When you tell stories you connect your audience to the child in them, the one that loves stories.It is much easier to communicate effectively when people are connected to the softer part of them.
- Make an impact – make sure your tone is unique and you have anecdotes in your Art of Public Speaking that they will remember. People remember the extraordinary…so be extraordinary!
The Thinking Coach leadership training courses, management training courses and employee training development
This is be the best ROI course for your organization, bar none! It will help your organization develop effective communication for the workplace.
Soft skills in the workplace make a real difference in enabling your organization to reach the next level.
The Thinking Coach™
- Learn What Strategic Planning Is About Within The Super 3
- How Conscious Are You To The Power Of Now?